My husband recently bought me Paul Hollywood's book How to Bake. I tried the marble cake recipe which was an easy one to start with rather than the Eight Strand Plaited Loaf! We had a slice with a cup of tea and another piece the following morning with raspberries and crème fraiche.
Here is the recipe…
Marble Cake from Paul Hollywood's How to Bake
200 g butter
200 g caster sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
250g plain flour, sieved
3 tsp baking powder
40 ml milk
2 tsp cocoa powder
icing sugar, for dusting
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Beat together the butter, 180 of the sugar, the vanilla extract until the mixture is light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs one at a time, followed by the flour and baking powder. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons of the milk, to give a slow dropping consistency.
3. Pour 2/3 of the batter into the prepared loaf tin, it should fill three-quarters of the tin.
4. Sieve the cocoa and remaining sugar and add to the remaining third of batter along with the last of the milk.
5. Spread the chocolate mixture over the cake mixture in the tin, then lightly run a fork through them both, gently swirling the two colours together to create a marbled effect.
6. Bake for 55 – 70 minutes, until the cake shrinks slightly from the sides of the tin. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before turning out. When the cake has cooled, dust with icing sugar.